Ok, so we left off with the well drilling… well here’s a picture of the finished well head. The water was hit at 165 feet but it was decided to go down to 195 feet to make sure there was a good head on the well. It turns out that this was probably unnecessary as the water pushed up to 80 feet due to positive pressure and some geological terms that I am unfamiliar with. The flow rate on the well is about 30 gpm. This is supposedly a really good flow rate, “enough for 4 households” as the driller said. Also, being at 8600 feet this is the top of the water table. The water up here is as pure as it gets. Here’s a picture of the well (a pipe sticking out of the ground).
So that was exciting, and it only cost 5 grand. What a bargain. Not. There is still trenching, plumbing, installing a pump and pressure system. More money. Fortunately we have been able to salvage a pump, though untested I have high hopes. Also the addition is coming along. The roof was built flat deliberately to accomodate a rooftop patio (in the future). EPDM roofing which is a rubber membrane much like a pond liner that creates a solid impermeable surface. Good stuff, best stuff for flat roofs. The room is 16′ x 16′ with a nice view out of the picture windows. Nothing is completely done yet though, of course.
Don’t mind the mess, it’s a construction site after all. Though not reflected in the pictures, the roof of the addition is insulated with R-38 insulation. Are you kidding? I didn’t even know that stuff existed until I moved here. Anyway, it has drastically affected the temperature in the whole building, holding more heat at night and keeping it out during the day. At first the ceiling was uninsulated, so with a black rubber membrane glued to the roof decking the sun turned the room into a solar oven. It’s much better with insulation. Within the next week or two we anticipate finalizing the insulation and drywall on the ceiling so the mudding and taping can begin. Then the building will be wrapped in tyvek, and a small overhang might be added to the addition. The roof is watertight, but the walls are not and when it rains heavily there has been some water penetration along the roof-wall attachment. Something to consider when building a block style room like this. Originally the plan was to stucco the house and possibly do some faux-adobe styling around the roof deck. This water issue has given cause for reconsideration. We’ll see what happens. Here’s a random awesome picture taken during a monsoon.